Friday, August 25, 2006

Future thoughts

Some short time past, Cindy found herself a job working for a jeweler. I knew she had found a new job, but we hadn't had the occasion to talk about it. Manny and I were eating a late lunch/early dinner/dunch/linner/lupper when we ran into Cindy who was doing much the same with a common friend of ours. She mentioned that many of the bench jewelers she works with remind her of me. It seems there is a commonality of interests and personalities. It got her thinking, which got Manny thinking, which in turn got me thinking, that maybe I ought to look into silver and goldsmithing. The idea has been working away at me since then. Once upon a time I thought it might be an interesting career, but I didn't know where to start. Cindy did a bit of asking for me and found a good starting point. There is a very good school in San Francisco that teaches the jewelry arts. It is a touch expensive though. Manny thinks it isn't as bad as I think. We started running the numbers and I might very well be able to do this thing. There is an intensive program that seems the best way to learn the art. It takes eight weeks to complete, requiring me to be in SF from 9 to 6 every weekday. Getting there might not be very fun, but it is only two months, and it might very well lead to a decent career. The prerequisite is Fabrication 1 which will cost me the better part of $600 and three days. It is a large chunk of money, but this might just be one of those times when it is best to gamble. I certainly won't come out worse than I went in. If I decide not to take it any further, at least I will come out knowing more than I did going in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting prospect, no pun intended.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home