Sunday, August 20, 2006

Enthusiasm misplaced

This last Saturday found me cutting brush along the right of way down in Niles Canyon. It was my first brush cutting day. I really don't mind the hard work, but I dislike starting a day with a crew of people who only have the slightest idea of what is going on and how to do it. I prefer more cut and dry work, like when a man I respect says, take this tool and cut that with it. The morning began down at the Sunol Gardens helping the Sunolians trim brush while I waited for the rest of my crew to show up. When they did I was glad to leave the chaotic Gardens for the relative peace of the rails. Again though, it was a situation I had never seen before and I was not entirely sure where to start. When I received my orders I gladly dove right in. Unfortunately what I dove into was a patch of poison oak. If I had curbed my enthusiasm and opened my eyes, I would have realized what I was doing before I started doing it. When I did, I had a brief thought before the cussing began. I like to think I am not a complete idiot. I don't recall ever having done anything terribly idiotic while asleep, for example.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home