Thursday, March 12, 2009

What is it with grassy knolls?

Todays adventures didn't involve lawn mowers, but they did involve getting one forklift, one truck, and one trailer with a car on it all stuck in the field behind my house. At the same time. Stupidity strikes again. Considering that I don't work right now, I tend to stay up late and get up even later. There weren't any real plans for the day yet, so I was taking my time getting ready for them. After sitting around for a bit I finally got into the shower sometime around noon. Just in time for the phone to ring. Figures. After a moment or so of thought I decided it wasn't worth running naked through my house dripping wet and possibly ruining my phone at the same time. Eventually I got around to returning the call. It was Jeremy. Not too surprising. He is good at hatching up things to do. Today he wanted to drive to Morgan Hill to pick up a few small parts for his MGB roadster. He wants to drive it to the same shop this weekend for an MG Owners Group tech session. These are half car-show, and half a bunch of gear heads tinkering with each other's automobiles. They are kinda fun though. It wasn't just that Jeremy wanted to drive down, or that he wanted me to go with him. It was that he wanted me to bring Dad's truck (which is being stored at my place) so I can bring a borrowed trailer home. Next question. Why do you need a trailer? "I don't," he says. "We need it for your car." My car? Its an MG show. "Yeah but I thought we could bring your Metropolitan." What? So. Some short time later Jeremy and I were on our way to Morgan Hill in Dads truck. Once we got there Jeremy sat down for an hour or so trying to exorcise a few demons from Bill's (the shop owner) computer. Eventually we got around to hitching up the trailer only to discover that we didn't have the right adapter to allow us to actually have working brake lights. Thankfully I live out on a country road where it isn't likely to be a problem. Home we went. We parked the truck in the yard pointing nose first out the back gate so the trailer would be in the right place. Its been a while since last I started the Met. To my surprise it started right up and ran well enough for me to drive it right up onto the trailer. We got it strapped down (with borrowed straps) and ready to go. The easiest way to get the truck and trailer turned is to drive straight through the back gate, make a wide turn around the field and come back through the gate facing the right direction. Didn't happen. I got three quarters of the way back to the gate and the foot and a half of grass turned slippery. I lost all traction and got stuck. Hmm. Perhaps if I take the trailer off, it will make it easier to get the truck out. No dice. Thinking quickly, I got the forklift running and went to pull the truck out, carefully not thinking of the fact that the forklift could get stuck on a perfectly dry parking lot with snow tires and chains installed. Some twenty seconds later the forklift was stuck too. Damn. I went back into the house for a few minutes, hoping that food would somehow magically transform itself into a solution. Every vehicle (other than Mr. S' antique tractor collection) was now stuck in the field with the possible exception of my thirty year old BMW. No way in hell I'm get that one stuck too. Now there is one truck, one antique clown car on a trailer, and one antique forklift all stuck in a perfect line in the same field. I called Charlie in a panic and asked his answering machine for advice. None came. Next I called my Dad and tried to explain how I got his truck stuck in my field while begging for help. He came out with his four wheel drive jeep. It worked wonders. First we got the forklift out, then the truck, then finally the trailer with my Met on it. Its amazing. No matter how much stupidity you throw at a problem, it doesn't get any better. Charlie called back less than five minutes after Dad and I got everything back out of the field. After he laughed at me for a good five minutes or so, he gave some good advice on how to get the forklift out if I get it stuck again. All in all, it was a fine day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home