Thursday, October 26, 2006

Unexplainable generosity

Ricardo the Magnificent has done it again. I had been planning to drive to Washington State for to visit my family and Charlie. His folks (my landlords) have very kindly invited me to Thanksgiving dinner with them for the third year running. With the holiday getting steadily closer I had begun to think of those many things that would be needful to get me there. My car is old and always needs some form of attention to keep her running smoothly. Gas is also expensive and must be budgeted. There is food to be purchased along the way. Also I get sleepy behind the wheel on long trips, so I was trying to figure out where the best spots would be for a series of short naps. Bat-Ricardo (out of the blue) offered to give me a certificate of sorts good for airfare to and from our green northern neighbor (the state of Washington, not Charlie). Beyond that stupendous bit of beneficence, he took pity on my lack of worldly knowledge and found me a rental car as well. I will pay for that, of course, but the fact that he did the work of actually finding it and reserving it astounds me. It also begs the question: "why do I deserve this?" What have I ever done to deserve such kindness from so many wonderful people? It is well beyond my means to ever repay anyone for the magnificently friendly gestures they offer me. I do try, but my attempts seem pitiful and somehow insignificant when compared to the generosity given me. I cannot thank these people enough for anything they have ever done for me, but I surely intend to try.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, your eternal optimism is breathtaking.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Optimism? I expect every moment to be crushed from above somehow.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home